Historic Markers Across Alabama



Deibert Park



Marker ID:  
Location: on Hightower Place near Darby Drive, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 50.406    W 087° 38.745
  34.8401    -87.64575
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ987
 



Text:

Deibert Park
-dedicated May 25, 2000-


This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large ante-bellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs sold this farm to Charles Posey who had worked these same fields as a slave. Later, Charles and his wife Amcy, began dividing the land among their heirs, and this settlement became known as Posey. According to tradition, Charles Posey built a schoolhouse here for his children and others in the neighborhood.

Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Deibert Park