Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church 1888



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of E. Tombigbee St. and N. Wood Ave., Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.187    W 087° 40.439
  34.80311666    -87.67398333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG09
 



Text:

On May 27, 1888, this church was established in the courthouse after a commencement sermon at the State Normal College delivered by the Rev. W. H. Smith. Its initial name was First Missionary Baptist, but in 1910 it became First Baptist. The Florence Land company gave property, and building was erected and occupied in 1890. That building burned in 1909; only the piano, the pulpit Bible, a pulpit chair and the communion service survived. Dedication for the next building occurred in 1910. A new sanctuary was constructed in 1963. First Baptist has always been committed to Missions in the Shoals and around the world.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of First Baptist Church 1888