Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Presbyterian Church — (1818)



Marker ID:  
Location: on E. Mobile St. just from Wood Ave., Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.117    W 087° 40.45
  34.80195    -87.67416666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHGN3
 



Text:

The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824. James L. Sloss, an early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's first permanent pastor in 1830. Although the church buildings have undergone several major expansions and renovations, the present sanctuary occupies the site of the 1824 building~ the "mother church" of Florence. The congregation in 1968 decided to remain an urban church and to continue its historical presence in the heart of Florence.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of First Presbyterian Church — (1818)