Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church — (1822)



Marker ID:  
Location: At the church on the corner of East Tuscaloosa and North Seminary Streets, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.202    W 087° 40.607
  34.80336666    -87.67678333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG1G
 



Text:

Established September 8, 1822 in a log house on the west side of town by Revs. John Cox and John Kerr. Cox and wife, Frances Langley had been affiliated with the Wesleys in England. Second meeting place was in Farmer's Cobbler Shop on West Mobile Street. The third house of worship was built at the present site in 1827. It was replaced in 1835, and again in 1904 with a brick structure that burned in 1920. Present church was built in 1924 and renovated in 1968.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of First United Methodist Church — (1822)