Historic Markers Across Alabama



Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America



Marker ID:  
Location: on E, Alabama Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.01    W 087° 40.247
  34.80016666    -87.67078333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The "Mother Church" of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland Colored Presbyterian Church originated in 1898 on property deeded by the city. Led, in 1918, by Rev. Holt Smith, it bought property on Alabama Street and build a frame structure. In 1948 Rev. Earl McDonald led in the construction of the annex named for him and the Jerome Robinson Education building. In 1997, the name became Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America. The church continually proclaims the compassion of Christ throughout the world.

Erected 2008 by Florence Historic Board Florence Alabama.







End of Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America