Historic Markers Across Alabama



Florence's Early Water Tower 1890



Marker ID:  
Location: on Seymore Avenue, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 49.471    W 087° 41.431
  34.82451666    -87.69051666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHGNV
 



Text:

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought- iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation in the city. Water was pumped here from Cypress Creek. It was constructed during the Industrial Boom at which time the population of Florence increased from approximately 2,000 in 1887 to over 6,000 in 1889. It was replaced by the adjoining standpipe in 1935.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence, Alabama.







End of Florence's Early Water Tower 1890