Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lone Cedar Church of Christ 1898



Marker ID:  
Location: on Old Jackson Hwy, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 55.42    W 087° 33.773
  34.92366666    -87.56288333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Christians first met here in a log building which also served as a schoolhouse. In 1909 a frame building was constructed. Because of a single cedar tree in prominent view, it was given the name Lone Cedar by Wilbert M (Will) Behel, an early dedicated gospel preacher. In 1938 a more modern stone building was completed by these diligent christians. A larger auditorium was added in 1977. This early christian meeting place soon became a landmark and a vital part of the Greenhill Community.







End of Lone Cedar Church of Christ 1898