Historic Markers Across Alabama



Patton Elementary School — (1891-1958)



Marker ID:  
Location: on Dr. Hicks Boulevard, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.154    W 087° 40.033
  34.80256666    -87.66721666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

`
Patton Elementary School
(1891-1958)


First school in Florence Public school system built 1890 on land given by Governor Robert M. Patton. It was occupied in 1891. Designed originally to serve all white elementary school children of Florence. Usually served six grades divided into nine sections. The building was remodeled several times and also housed the Superintendents Offices. Cloakrooms, safety doors, fire escapes were added, and the third floor was removed in 1921.

Ada Coffee, leading Alabama educator, joined the facility in 1896, and served as principal from 1910 to 1944. She established the first school lunchroom and parent teachers association in Florence.

White children moved to JW Powell School in 1958 when the Negro high school burned. About 360 African American junior and senior high school students used the Patton building form January 5, 1959 until Burrell- Slater High school building was completed in 1960. The Building was razed, and grounds are now occupied by Florence Utility Department.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of Patton Elementary School — (1891-1958)