Historic Markers Across Alabama



Simpson House~Irvine Place~Coby Hall



Marker ID:  
Location: is on Court, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.293    W 087° 40.748
  34.80411666    -87.68063333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG3V
 



Text:

Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her husband, James B. Irvine. Their daughter, Virginia, left the home to her great-niece Harriett Rogers King in 1939. Mrs. King and her husband, Madding restored Irvine Place in 1948. Acquired in 1990 by David Brubaker, and donated to the University of North Alabama in memory of his wife, Coby Stockard Brubaker. Listed: National Register of Historical Places.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.



Notes:

Wikipedia: Coby Hall

Wikipedia: University of North Alabama (UNA)



End of Simpson House~Irvine Place~Coby Hall