Historic Markers Across Alabama



Southall Drugs



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of North Court Street and East Mobile Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.066    W 087° 40.598
  34.8011    -87.67663333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHGEV
 



Text:

Charles Morton Southall (1864-1952) constructed this Commercial Italianate style building in 1900 of the finest materials for his wholesale/retail drug business. The elegant interior by Charles Hester, New York City, contained the area's first rubber tile floor.

In addition to health wares: window glass, paints, seeds, musical instruments and other sundries were dispensed.

The building remained a pharmacy until 1979. In 1982 it was renovated by the Southall family and Byron Bower for combined commercial/residential use with John Mott, AIA, Ft. Smith, Arkansas, architect. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Erected by Florence Historical Board, Florence, Alabama.







End of Southall Drugs