Historic Markers Across Alabama



St Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Burrell Street and White Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 47.731    W 087° 41.221
  34.79551666    -87.68701666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
(Organized 1879 from earlier 1840 Congregation)


In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church Springs” near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a martyr during the Civil War. Site of American Missionary School after Emancipation. Organized as St. Paul AME in 1879. Relocated to Court and Alabama Streets in 1895. Charles B. Handy was early pastor and William W. Handy was early leader (father and grandfather to W.C. Handy.) St. Paul relocated again in 1968 to present site.

Erected by Erected By Florence Historical Board.







End of St Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church