Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wesleyan Hall 1855



Marker ID:  
Location: on Cramer Way, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.542    W 087° 40.725
  34.80903333    -87.67875
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival Structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, And built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new home for LaGrange College (organized 1830 by Methodists). Used by both armies at various times during Civil War. Deeded to State of Alabama, 1872, as first coeducational teacher training institution south of Ohio River. School expanded to become University of North Alabama in 1974. Listed National Register of Historic Places.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of Wesleyan Hall 1855