Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wheeler Rifles — ~Organized 1888~



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of East Tennessee Street (U.S. 72) and Short Court Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 47.992    W 087° 40.586
  34.79986666    -87.67643333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG9Z
 



Text:

Prior to the repeal of the Militia Act in 1902, states maintained their own militia. One of the last militia in Florence and Lauderdale County was the Wheeler Rifles. Organized in 1888, under the command of Captain Julian Fields, it was named for U.S. Congressman Joseph Wheeler, a Confederate hero who later commanded the U.S. Cavalry in Cuba. The Wheeler Rifles, under the command of Captain William Martin, was the first militia company in Alabama to volunteer for service in the Spanish-American War, although the war ended while they were undergoing training in Florida.

Erected by Florence Historic Board Florence Alabama.








End of Wheeler Rifles — ~Organized 1888~