Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wood Avenue Church of Christ — 1886



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Tuscaloosa St. and Wood Ave, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.247    W 087° 40.491
  34.80411666    -87.67485
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG0K
 



Text:

In 1886 a group of Christians began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher on the northeast corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Streets, for the next four years the group assembled in various rented places until it obtained its own building.

The move was made to the southwest corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Streets in September 1890. That building remained the church's home until March 1, 1970 when it moved to the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street.

The oldest of all in the city "Church of Christ". Wood Avenue has played a significant role in the expansion of the Church of Christ throughout many parts of the world.







End of Wood Avenue Church of Christ — 1886