Historic Markers Across Alabama



Woodrow Wilson Park — 1818



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of East Tuscaloosa Street and North Wood Street (County Road 47), Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.225    W 087° 40.51
  34.80375    -87.67516666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG18
 



Text:

This park, first designated as a Public Walk, was laid out as part of the original plans of Florence in 1818. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from City Park to Woodrow Wilson Park in honor of the former U.S. President following his death on February 3, 1924. After retiring in 1924 as minister of the Trinity Episcopal Church, the Reverend Cassius Lee Price, and his wife, Mary Emily Savage Price, planned and supervised the landscaping and the planting of the trees in this park.

Erected 2009 by Florence Historical Board Florence, Alabama.







End of Woodrow Wilson Park — 1818