Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Courtland



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Lawrence
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Federal lands in this area were first sold in 1818 and quickly purchased by settlers and speculators. A group of investors calling themselves the "Courtland Land Company" and consisting of William H. Whitaker, James M. Camp, William F. Broadnax, John M. Tifford, Benjamin Thomas and Bernard McKiernan acquired the future town site and had it laid off in a gridiron street pattern containing 300 lots. These were immediately put up for sale. In hopes that Courtland would become the county seat, the present square was set aside for a courthouse. Alabama's territorial legislature incorporated Courtland on December 13, 1819.







End of Town of Courtland