Historic Markers Across Alabama



Courtland Presbyterian Church / Courtland Cemetery



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Van Buren St 0.1 miles north of Jefferson St, Courtland, AL
County: Lawrence
Coordinates: N 34° 40.263    W 087° 18.395
  34.67105    -87.30658333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Courtland Presbyterian Church


One of Alabama's earliest Presbyterian congregations, this church was founded in September 1821 by the Reverend John Allen as "The Church of Nazareth." In 1833 it was renamed the Courtland Presbyterian Church. The first meeting house, just west of today's church on the site of the existing manse, burned in the 1850s. Construction of the present edifice began about 1859 but was not completed until 1868 because of the Civil War. The bricks were made at the nearby Daniel Gilchrist plantation. The church was extensively refurbished following a serious fire in 1957.

Erected 1994 by the Courtland Presbyterian Church Memorial Fund

Courtland Cemetery


One of Alabama's oldest and most picturesque town cemeteries, this site was set aside as a burying ground by the Courtland Land Company in its original survey made prior to the incorporation of the town in 1819. Many of the area's earliest settlers and prominent leaders are buried here, including three Revolutionary War veterans. There are a number of unmarked graves of Confederate soldiers. Three Union soldiers were interred here following an 1863 skirmish at the nearby railroad trestle. Their graves were later enclosed behind a rock wall erected by the townspeople.

Older grave markers found in this cemetery represent a variety of styles and types common in the 1800s and early 1900s. They include simple upright stone slabs as well as "table" and "box" tombs, tall granite obelisks and Victorian-era statuary. Some family plots are enclosed with ornamental cast-iron fences. Older graves lie mostly in the southern part of the cemetery. After the Civil War, an African-American burial ground was established just east of the main cemetery. Oldest marked graves in this section date from the early 1900s.

Erected 1994 by the Courtland Historical Foundation







End of Courtland Presbyterian Church / Courtland Cemetery