Historic Markers Across Alabama



Cheatham Road



Marker ID:  
Location: near mile marker 17 after leaving Warrior Mountain Trading Co located at 11312 Al Hwy 33 Moulton, Al
County: Lawrence
Coordinates: N 34° 25.103    W 087° 18.103
  34.41838333    -87.30171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Wyatt Cheatham (1769-1856) was one of the early settlers of Lawrence County and bought land near Wren in 1818. The Alabama Legislature on 14 Dec 1824 authorized him, "to open out and make a road leading from at or near the Gum Pond in said county to Tuscaloosa". The act authorized him to erect turnpike gates and collect tolls for passage. The Gum Pond near the Leola Road was located on Payne’s Road about 7 miles south of Moulton. The Cheatham Road was to be 18 feet wide with 12 feet cleared of "stumps and grubs". On 15 Jan 1825, Wyatt Cheathan and Joseph Coe (Lawrence County State Representative) formed a partnership and agreed to divide the expenses and tolls associated with the road. Prior to 1828. Cheatham, a War of 1812 veteran, moved to what is now Winston County where he profited both from tolls and a public house that he built to entertain and lodge travelers. His tavern was located at the Clear Creek crossing of Cheatham's Road.
In 1835, Lawrence County Commissioner court records, the road is Cheatham's Road", with two landmarks identified as the Gum Tree and Ambrose Rucker’s place. Wyatt Cheathem’s memorial is located in Scott's Cemetery in Walker County, Al., where his wife and son are buried.

Erected by Lawrence County Historical Commission Inc.







End of Cheatham Road