Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gallagher Hill/Science Hill



Marker ID:  
Location: Court Street at Hospital Street, Moulton, AL
County: Lawrence
Coordinates: N 34° 28.902    W 087° 17.173
  34.4817    -87.28621666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNDAF
 



Text:

The elevation to the northeast was known as Gallagher Hill. It was owned by John Gallagher who was born in 1784 in Donegal County, Ireland. Coming to America 12 Aug 1812, he was a Lawrence County official by 1822. Later known as Science Hill, the Moulton Male High School, incorporated 2 Feb 1858, was built on the site. Thomas M. Peters was President of the Board, and school trustees included Asa Hodges, William McKelvey, Henry Warren, and W.F. Owen. On 22 Apr 1858, the trustees advertised for bids "for the erection of a building on Gallagher Hill, east of town for said school, and the removal of the old town schoolhouse to the same location." The Moulton Democrat of 5 Nov 1858, stated that building would be completed "in a week or two," and that Professor Zenias F. Freeman was principal. Freeman was an educator of national reputation. The first session of school began 3 Jan 1850. In 1874, the Methodist Episcopal Church - South bought the land and buildings to begin a new school called Decatur District High School. Michael Wert was Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Professor Mitchell was principal. On 1 Jul 1888, a lynching occurred on the school grounds with Sheriff William F. Roberson and Judge J.C. Kumpe intervening to no avail.

Lawrence County Historical Commission







End of Gallagher Hill/Science Hill