Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Old Rotation



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: Lem Morrison Dr, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 35.624    W 085° 29.149
  32.59373333    -85.48581666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKYX2
 



Text:

Established in 1896 by Professor J. F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to demonstrate the benefits of rotating cotton with other crops to improve yields & utilize nitrogen-restoring legumes in a cotton-production system. It continues to document the long-term effect of these rotations in the same soil. The Old Rotation consists of 13 plots on 1 acre of land. Each plot is a different crop rotation of cotton with corn, summer legumes, winter legumes, and fertilizer nitrogen. National Register of Historic Places, January 14, 1988.








End of The Old Rotation