Historic Markers Across Alabama



Auburn University



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of West Thach Avenue and Mell Street, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.25    W 085° 29.02
  32.60424    -85.48372
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDB08
 



Text:

Auburn University
Alabama’s Land-Grant University


This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name “Auburn” used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in 1856. Methodists deeded college to State in 1872 to become under the Land Grant Act, Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899, with growth, name changed to Alabama Polytechnic Institute. “Owing much to the past, Auburn’s mission makes its greater debt ever to the future.”

Erected 1994 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Auburn University