Historic Markers Across Alabama



Sigma Alpha Epsilon



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: W. Magnolia St., Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.38    W 085° 29.56
  32.60649    -85.49275
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKYXK
 



Text:

The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when fraternities were forbidden on campus. Working in secrecy with SAE brothers in Georgia, Shipp had two members of Mercer University’s chapter, William H. Felton and Frank H. Greaves, travel to Auburn to install the chapter behind Old Main in a cornfield where Samford Hall now stands. The first fraternity on Auburn’s campus, Sigma Alpha Epsilon remains a place for “The True Gentleman.”







End of Sigma Alpha Epsilon