Historic Markers Across Alabama



General James Henry Lane House Woman's Club of Auburn



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Sanders Street, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 37.182    W 085° 29.053
  32.6197    -85.48421666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFHW1
 



Text:

The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables, E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. Gen. James H. Lane, Aide to Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased the house in 1884. Daughter Mary married Dean George Petrie, author of Auburn Creed. Daughter Kate Meade Lane was the last resident. Mollie Hollifield Jones purchased the house in 1960 for the Woman's Club. The house was moved to its present location in 1962. It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1991.

Erected 1992 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Woman's Club of Auburn.







End of General James Henry Lane House Woman's Club of Auburn