Historic Markers Across Alabama



Loachapoka Historic District / BOOM AND CHANGE



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Stage Road in Loachapoka, Alabama
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.266    W 085° 35.91
  32.60443333    -85.5985
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHP3A
 



Text:

Loachapoka Historic District


One of the larger settlements of the upper creeks at the time of indian removal to the west, 1835-1837. Their last council fire was held here before their forced migration to Oklahoma. Pioneer families began pouring in after 1836. Today's cemetery was known as pine level; the first Baptist Church was located there. A half mile south was Ball's Fork Trade Center and Stage Coach Junction Loachapoka can be interpreted as "land where turtles live" or "turtle killing place."

Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.


Boom and Change


Coming of the railroad from Montgomery in 1845 started a new era, with Loachapoka's name revived. It became the trade center for Waverly, Roxana, Rome, Camp Hill, Dudleyville, and Dadeville.

Rousseau's Raiders hit Loachapoka at sun down, Sunday, July 17, 1864, and stayed one day.

Census of 1870 indicated a population of 1,254, but reconstruction, migration, 1873 panic and railroad extension from Opelika to Dadeville in the early 1870's destroyed the town's pre-eminence, Loachapoka was placed on the National Register of historic places May 11, 1973.

Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.



Notes:

Also waymarked at WMHXGC.



End of Loachapoka Historic District / BOOM AND CHANGE