Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bean's Mill



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on US Highway 29 North (U.S. 6247 at milepost 197), Opelika AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 41.822    W 085° 16.079
  32.69703333    -85.26798333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V3C
 



Text:

side 1:
In 1832, Kotch,ar Yoholo owned the site. Moses Wheat and son, Francis, owned saw and grist mills on this site in the late 1830s. Francis died in 1838 from an accident at the mills. In 1852 the property was owned by John 'Jack' Floyd and son, James C. In 1858 John sold his share to James, who took Hiram Murphy as a partner. The Grist Mill washed out in 1874 and was replaced with a structure on stone foundations above normal high water. The mill remained in the Floyd Family until 1899. It is the only one left of several mills once located on Halawakee Creek.

side 2:
Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam height was raised two feet. On March 30, 1939, FDR on his way to Warm Springs stopped his motorcade for a visit. In 1989 John M. Ross purchased the deteriorated mill with 80 acres. Ross reconstructed the mill to operating condition in 1997. On October 1, 1997, the Alabama Historical Commission placed it on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.

Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Lee County Historical Society, 2002.







End of Bean's Mill