Historic Markers Across Alabama



Chewacla State Park (CCC)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Chewacla State Park, 124 Shell Toomer Parkway, Auburn, Alabama
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 33.23    W 085° 28.66
  32.55383333    -85.47766666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to construct Chewacla Park. By March 1941, they had built a dam and 26-acre lake, roads, trails, cabins, bathhouse, manager's house, arch bridge, and office. Barracks, mess hall, and canteen were also built on site to house the men who were from Alabama and other Southern states.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Auburn Heritage Association

SIDE 2:
Company 4447, Camp SCS-9, was located in Lee County about one mile south of Auburn. Company 4447 did soil conservation work on farms, controlled highway erosion, and assisted Company 4448 with quarrying stone for the new park. These camps were in District H, headquartered in Fort Benning, Georgia. Vocational and educational opportunities were made available to enrollees of the CCC program. The park was turned over to the State of Alabama, with the creation of the Alabama State Park System in 1939, and CCC work continued through 1941.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Auburn Heritage Association








End of Chewacla State Park (CCC)