Historic Markers Across Alabama



City Hall



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 144 Tichenor Avenue, Auburn, Alabama
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.505    W 085° 28.868
  32.60841666    -85.48113333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
In 1846, Auburn's Founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original boundaries of the City of Auburn. In 1931, the City of Auburn donated this land for a larger post office. Congress gave $90,000 for its construction and the building was completed in 1933, while Levi Knapp was Postmaster. First class status was attained here in 1940 under Postmaster Homer Wright, and it served as the post office until 1991. It was at least the seventh location for town postal service.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Heritage Association, 2002

SIDE 2:
The City of Auburn bought the building in 1992 for $375,000. In 1999, the City Council voted to renovate it as City Hall. It was dedicated in 2001. The building has a "Starved-Classical," symmetrical style, with pointed pediments, typical of Federal Depression architecture. These elements have been preserved through several additions and renovations. Postmasters who served Auburn on this site: Levi A. Knapp; Homer Wright; Mrs. Katherine Wright; Jay G. Hitchcock; Harold Nall; Charles M. Dawson; Bill Kitchen; J. Dan McLaughlin. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1983.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Heritage Association, 2002







End of City Hall