Historic Markers Across Alabama



Dillard-Lawson House



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on E Magnolia Ave, west of S Debardeleben St, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.390    W 085° 28.420
  32.6065    -85.47366666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKYW9
 



Text:

Built by Auburn merchant A. L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard invented a secret formula to make it moisture proof. Mrs. Dillard and her daughter were the first registered women voters in Lee County. In 1925, Sigma Pi Fraternity was chartered here. The James L. Lawson family owned the house from 1939-1984. It was home to Mabel Yearby, the first woman defense lawyer in Alabama. In 1984 the house was sold to business interests.

Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.








End of Dillard-Lawson House