Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 702 Avenue A, Opelika, Alabama.
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 38.884    W 085° 22.658
  32.64806666    -85.37763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKP2
 



Text:

Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1836 with 22 members as Labanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Red brick steepled building completed in 1881. Renamed "First Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Opelika" by Quarterly Conference in 1905. Remodeled in 1909 to present Classical Revival style characterized by fluted columns, Corinthians capitals and sanctuary dome.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Opelika First United Methodist Church, 1987.







End of First United Methodist Church