Historic Markers Across Alabama



Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At the intersection of S. 9th Street and Ave. B, Opelika, AL ‎
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 38.734    W 085° 22.721
  32.64556666    -85.37868333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM2A6
 



Text:

KILLGORE SCHOLARSHIPS


Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help deserving students pursue a college education. The Killgores willed one million, two hundred thousand dollars for a trust fund to provide college scholarships for graduates of Lee County High Schools: Auburn High, Opelika High, Beauregard High, Beulah High, and Smith's Station High. Since 1967, the Killgore Scholarships have assisted hundreds of students with their college education.

Provided by a friend, G. A. "Chief" Mitchell and the Lee County Commission. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1997.


SOME TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIPS


Since its beginning over 900 students have received scholarships. The Killgore Scholarships were established to reward students for their efforts and to encourage them to continue their education. Four-year scholarships are awarded annually to students from Auburn, Beauregard, Beulah, Opelika, and Smith's Station High Schools for achieving excellence. Girls receive $750 each year, boys $500. Military service, personal illness or family matters only may interrupt a student’s education funded by these scholarships.

Provided by a friend, G. A. "Chief" Mitchell and the Lee County Commission. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1997.







End of Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships