Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Cullars Rotation/The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Woodfield Drive, Auburn University, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 35.271    W 085° 28.980
  32.58785    -85.483
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH57W
 



Text:

THE CULLARS ROTATION (Established 1911)


The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station on the farm of J.A. Cullars and John P. Alvis. In 1938, the "Alvis Field" was sold to Alabama Polytechnic Institute which became Auburn University in 1960. The experiment consists of 14 soil fertility variables in three blocks that are rotated with cotton followed by a winter legume, corn followed by wheat, and soybeans planter after wheat.

National Register of Historic Places, April 19, 2003

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association 2006


THE ALVIS FIELD AND COTTON RUST


In the late 1800s, J.P. Alvis and J.A. Cullars farmed this property which later became known as the "Alvis Field." They allowed Prof. F. F. Atkinson, a biologist at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, to use this site to study cotton rust, a disease that causes cotton plants to shed leaves early. Atkinson's research in 1890 led to the discovery that cotton rust was caused by a potassium deficiency. As a result, the Cullars Rotation was started in 1911. Today, potassium fertilizers are used on cotton throughout the South.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association 2006







End of The Cullars Rotation/The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust