Historic Markers Across Alabama



World War II Prisoner of War Facility



Marker ID: HCC 
Location:
County: Lee
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, -9captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel's Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was maintained at about 3000 until the end of World War II, in May 1945. In September 1945, the camp was deactivated and deeded to the City of Opelika. For a brief period the camp quarters were used for veteran's housing before the site became an industrial park.

Erected by the Opelika Historic Preservation Society and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2002.








End of World War II Prisoner of War Facility