Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wright's Mill



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the entrance of Chewacla State Park, four miles south of Auburn, Alabama.
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 33.248    W 085° 28.845
  32.55413333    -85.48075
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCGHD
 



Text:

Side 1:
A popular recreation area for more than 100 years. Original dam located a short distance below Chewacla Lake Dam. Mill located on the west bank and ground both corn and wheat. Earlier mill owners from 1840's were Echols, Hiram Reed, Charles Nelms, and John F. Lewis. W.W. Wright (1825 - 1905) owned the mill from about 1873 into early 1900’s when it was abandoned. Most of these years his miller was Joe Broome. Just before Town Creek enters the Chewacla is the Gin-Saw Hole. A water powered gin and sawmill were located here in the 1840’s. For many years it was a very popular swimming hole.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1979.

Side 2:
In early 1890's a club house was built on the hill between Wright’s Mill and the Gin-Saw Hole. This was a favorite are for Auburnites before Town Creek was contaminated by Auburn Sewage. A bicycle club was formed in Auburn circa 1900. George Petrie and B. B. Ross were prominent members. A bicycle path was constructed from Auburn to Wright’s Mill. It began where Gay Street formerly terminated at Samford Avenue following the east bank of Town Creek much of the way. Chewacla State Park was opened in 1939 and this park included the Wright’s Mill area.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1979.








End of Wright's Mill