Historic Markers Across Alabama



Camp Opelika



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: On Marvyn Parkway near Williamson Ave., Opelika, Alabama
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 37.512    W 085° 22.295
  32.6252    -85.37158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFH9N
 



Text:

Camp Opelika
World War II Prisoner of War Facility


Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, -9captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel's Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was maintained at about 3000 until the end of World War II, in May 1945. In September 1945, the camp was deactivated and deeded to the City of Opelika. For a brief period the camp quarters were used for veteran's housing before the site became an industrial park.

Erected by the
Opelika Historic Preservation Society
and the
Historic Chattahoochee Commission







End of Camp Opelika