Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the north side of Mitcham Avenue, between North College Street and North Gay Street, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.631    W 085° 28.829
  32.61051666    -85.48048333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFPCA
 



Text:

At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised of cadets of the East Alabama Male College (now Auburn University). Forty-two members of the Guards went by rail from Montgomery to Pensacola on January 16, 1861, under orders from Alabama Governor Moore, to fortify the fort there. The officers of the Auburn Guards were as follows: George W. Dixon, Captain; Wm. F. Stanton, 1st Lieutenant; F. G. McElhany, 2nd Lieutenant; J. H. Echols, 3rd Lieutenant.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Auburn Heritage Association,
SCV Robert E. Lee Camp #16, and Auburn Guards Chapter #2677
2011







End of The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis