Historic Markers Across Alabama



Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the corner of Gay Street and Magnolia Avenue, Auburn, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.385    W 085° 28.777
  32.60641666    -85.47961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH2XT
 



Text:

In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East Alabama Male College. It later became a state institution and named Auburn University in 1960. In 1899 this building was encased in brick and the pipe organ installed. It became a fellowship hall when the sanctuary was built in 1955. In 1992 it was restored and named Founder's Chapel.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Preservation Alliance of Auburn 2004







End of Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel