Historic Markers Across Alabama



Salem Shotwell Covered Bridge



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: The bridge is located on Park Road, near the intersection with Rocky Brook Road. Parking is available on the road and in the park's parking areas.
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 39.556    W 085° 22.878
  32.65926666    -85.3813
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHJ16
 



Text:

This is the last surviving covered bridge in Lee County. It was constructed about 1900 by Otto Puls over Oacoochee Creek in the Town's lattice truss design. Materials used in the 75 foot long bridge included longleaf heart pine, white oak pegs and cedar shakes. Maintained by the Lee County Commission and Lee County Historical Society, the bridge stood until June 2005 when it was damaged by a storm and collapsed into the creek. It was rescued by John Ross and a number of other volunteers from Lee County and placed in storage until it could be reassembled and relocated. Its original location was in the N1/2 of Section 26, Township 19N, Range 28E.

After its collapse, the bridge was given to the City of Opelika in February 2006 by the Lee County Commission for relocation in the Municipal Park over Rocky Brook Branch. The "Park the Bridge" project was sponsored by the Opelika Kiwanis Club working with the Opelika Parks and Recreation Board as a community project. The shortened bridge was reassembled by J. Marsh Enterprises, Inc. in 2007. Major sponsors included: Scott Bridge Company, Castone Corporation, Dudley Lumber Company and Thompson Carriers. Many other businesses and individuals contributed to the reconstruction project. The new location is in SE1/4 Section 6, Township 19N, Range 27E.

Erected by the
Historic Chattahoochee Commission,
Opelika Historic Preservation Society, Auburn Heritage Association,
and East Alabama Medical Center
2007







End of Salem Shotwell Covered Bridge