Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Rosenwald School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: On Stage Rd west of Loachapoka, AL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.192    W 085° 36.322
  32.6032    -85.60536666
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WMHPR8
 



Text:

(side 1)
On this site once stood the first of over 5,300 Rosenwald schools for black children built between 1913 and 1932. The schools were started in a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck, and Company and Booker T. Washington, Principal of Tuskegee institute. The dedication was held on May 18, 1913. Rosenwald grew up poor and believed in self-help; consequently, he paid for only part of the expenses to build the schools. The rest was to be raised by community members, both black and white. All of the schools were built from a selection of plans designed by an architect at Tuskegee Institute.


(side 2)
The first teacher at the Loachapoka school was L. Pearl Rouseau. Initially, there was no principal; the school was overseen by the State. The initial school year lasted only three months; the second was expanded to nine months. Basic courses in reading and arithmetic were taught in the one-room building, with no power or plumbing. Rosenwald gave three hundred dollars toward the school, and the remainder of the total cost of nine hundred forty-two dollars and forty-six cents was given by local residents, both black and white, along with the labor. This school was the only source for educating black citizens in the area. It closed in the late 1950s.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
and
Lee County Historical Society
2011



Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Fisk University - Rosenwald Fund Card File Databasel
Encyclopedia of Alabamay - Rosenwald Schools in Alabama

Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington



End of First Rosenwald School