Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oakland United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Bee Line Highway (U.S. 31) and Thomas L Hammonds Road, Tanner, Alabama
County: Limestone
Coordinates: N 34° 39.478    W 086° 57.007
  34.65796666    -86.95011666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME99Z
 



Text:

Generations of African-American families have worshiped here, beginning with services held under a brush arbor prior to the Civil War. In August of 1879, the land for the Oakland Methodist church was deeded to parishioners In a wooden one-room building, they worshiped and operated their own private school, serving the surrounding communities and producing a number of ministers and educators. The Limestone County Board of Education took charge of the school in 1929 until it closed at the end of the 1952 school year. After the original structure was destroyed by a tornado, the Oakland Methodist Episcopal church - which became the Oakland United Methodist Church in 1972 - was rebuilt. Renovations to the structure were completed in 1990.







End of Oakland United Methodist Church