Historic Markers Across Alabama



Athens First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and West Washington Street, Athens, Alabama
County: Limestone
Coordinates: N 34° 48.16    W 086° 58.328
  34.80266666    -86.97213333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ9HH
 



Text:

This church was organized in 1829 as a Cumberland Presbyterian church by the Revs. Robert Donnell, John Morgan and Allen Gipson.

After first using an interdenominational building, a church was built on West Washington street in 1852. This was badly damaged during the Civil War and worshippers met at the Baptist Church. Sufficient money was raised to begin the building of the present church, "On the Square", which was completed in 1895, less than ten years before this church joined the majority to merge into the United Presbyterian Church. In this church in 1982, commissioners form the UPC and the PCUS Presbyteries voted to merge in the first joint meeting of the two Presbyteries. The resulting Presbytery was called the North Alabama Union Presbytery.

Erected by Given in Honor of Jeane and Alge Nazaretian, Friends of the Church, By their Children, Jeanne N. Smith, Dr. Angie Nazaretian and Peter N. Nazaretian.







End of Athens First Presbyterian Church