Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Hayneville



Marker ID: ABT 
Location:
County: Lowndes
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In the 1820s, Hayneville in Lowndes County, was known as "Big Swamp: for a nearby creek. It 1830, after being chosen as the county seat, it was named Hayneville for Robert Y. Hayne, governor of South Carolina and a U.S. Senator. The incorporation of Hayneville as a town began with the desire and vision of 25 qualified electors of the county and residents of the Hayneville community in July 1967. These men and woman had a vision for the thriving town. Two subsequent attempts were made in incorporation, the last resulting in favor of incorporation. Only one person filed for a statement of candidacy and was nominated for the office of Mayor and five places on the Town Council. Therefore, due to the completion of the requirements for Incorporation, the court declared on July 15, 1968, by Probate Judge Harold Hammond, that Hayneville was completely incorporated and the following people held their respective offices until the next regular election and until their successors were qualified and elected.

Mayor: L. W. Crocker

Town Council:

J. A. Jackson

W.M. Holladay

L. R. Haigler

J. A. Wise

R. V. Harrell

Side 2:
Town of Hayneville

___________________________

Established 1968

___________________________

City of Progress
Macon County







End of Town of Hayneville