Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fort Deposit



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Lowndes
Coordinates:   
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The original "Fort Deposit" was established as a supply depot by General Ferdinand L. Claiborne in 1813 during the Creek Indian War. It served as a base of operations when General Claiborne engaged the Creeks at the Battle of the Holy Ground. The Fort was located just northeast of the present Myrtlewood Cemetery in the Gilmer Hills area.

The community of Fort Deposit, once known as Ballard's Precinct, arose on its present site during the territorial and early statehood periods of Alabama history. The legislature incorporated the town of Fort Deposit on February13, 1891.



Notes:

missing 2010



End of Fort Deposit