Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Alabama Hwy 21 south of U.S. Hwy 80
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 32° 14.65    W 086° 31.62
  32.24427      -86.52713
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHT4F
 



Text:

Organized in 1850 as Shiloh Baptist Church on the Pritchett Plantation, later known as the R.D. Spann Place on Highway 21, North, 3 miles north of Hayneville. Primitive later added to the name. Building originally constructed of logs, then a wooden-board structure added as the community grew. Understanding the need to educate blacks in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the church served as both a school and a place to worship God on the Lord’s Day. In 1875 the Pilgrim Rest Primitive Baptist Association was organized at the Spann Place site, the Elder Morris Jaree, Pastor. Church remodeled in 1960 under the leadership of Elder J.H. Betts. 1970 building addition made under the leadership of Elder J.S. Johnson. Congregation in 1990 decided to purchase parcel of land to relocate some 3 miles north of original site. New building dedicated 1995. Congregation has taken active role in social ministry contributing to the well being of the community. Cornerstone reflects its philosophy: “We’ve come this far by Faith.”







End of Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church