Historic Markers Across Alabama



Franklin's Educational Legacy



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: On Tuskegee-Franklin Rd (route 49), Tuskegee, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 27.991    W 085° 48.339
  32.46651666    -85.80565
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHXGB
 



Text:

Side 1:
Franklin School, originally constructed on this lot, was in operation as early as the 1890’s teaching grades 1-11. By the mid 1930’s it was downsized to grades 1-6. There were northern and southern classrooms adjoined by a common auditorium. The school’s original water source was a spring beside the building, later a dug well in the front yard with a hand pump. Heat was a wood-burning pot belly stove. Each student brought a stick of wood every morning for use in the stove. The school closed in 1942. Its 75-80 students transferred to Tuskegee schools. After the close of the school the northern classroom was moved to its current location, converted to a community center with the rest torn down. During its use as a community center, Hank Williams Sr. sometimes performed for dances. Upon Franklin’s 1977 incorporation, the Town began using the building as Town Hall. A mile north of Town Hall lay the remnants of what is rumored the first school in Macon County.

Side 2:
At the corner of Co Rd 27 and 36 is Harris Barrett School. Built in 1903 as the education center of area slave descendants with handmade bricks by the students of Tuskegee Normal School - now Tuskegee University - under the direction of Booker T. Washington, today it has been restored and is a historic museum. Tuskegee Institute played a part in the education of the Franklin Community. They had an experimental farm on the west side of Baldwin Farm Road. Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver were active in the farming in Franklin, assisting farmers black and white. Many farms in Franklin, now covered with trees, were cleared by the Creek Indians. Well known leader Osceola was born on Red Creek 10 miles from the Tallapoosa River. Franklin’s been home to many churches for over 200 years, including in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s a Methodist Missionary Church for the Creek Indians with two cemeteries, one for white burial another for Indian burial. James McQueen, great-grandfather of Osceola, is buried in the Indian cemetery.







End of Franklin's Educational Legacy