Historic Markers Across Alabama



Camp Watts - Named for Thomas H. Watts - CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65)



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: On County Road 52, south of Notasulga, 1.1 miles south of intersection of Tuskegee St. and Union Camp Rd.
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 32.037    W 085° 40.824
  32.53395    -85.6804
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRBYV
 



Text:

The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place of soldiers who were buried here. The Camp Watts conscription camp was ordered closed after the fall of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863. The hospital remained open, staffed by volunteers under the guidance of Juliet Opie Hopkins who relied on charitable donations from Ladies Aid Societies throughout Alabama. She also used her personal funds to keep the hospital operating.







End of Camp Watts - Named for Thomas H. Watts - CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65)