Historic Markers Across Alabama



Little Texas Tabernacle and Campground



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: County Road 69 @ County Road 71, 1.4 miles south of US Hwy 80
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 26.555    W 085° 34.090
  32.44258333    -85.56816666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The "Little Texas" Methodist Tabernacle and Campground site of Camp meetings since the 1850's. The Tabernacle-a place of worship-was built by black and white settlers of the area.

The original structure was made of hand-hewn timbers, wooden pegs, handsplit shingles and sawdust floor. Sides were open except for fence-rail barriers.

Worshipers camped in open air or in temporary wooden barracks called "tents" during long revivals. When revivals were in progress, the campground was governed by camp rules adopted and enforced by religious leaders. Williams Chapel was built later.







End of Little Texas Tabernacle and Campground