Historic Markers Across Alabama



Union Christian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 1111 County Road 69, Tuskegee, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 26.276    W 085° 34.208
  32.43793333    -85.57013333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Union Christian Church began in spring 1897, under a brush arbor approximately 4 miles northeast of this site. Two acres were donated by future Congressman Charlie W. Thompson, of Tuskegee. Rev. John Allen Branch was the first minister. The original church building was completed in 1899. Worship services continued there until June 1937 when fire destroyed the building. After a vacant school building and 5 ½ acres of land were purchased from the State Board of Education at this site, a new church was dedicated on September 19, 1937. That facility was replaced by the present church building, dedicated March 19, 1963. The vision of its founders has provided a strong faith community in Union Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).







End of Union Christian Church