Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: intersection of Tuskegee St (AL-81) and Shiloh Rd, Notasulga, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 31.634    W 085° 40.689
  32.52723333    -85.67815
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD97
 



Text:

Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church


The Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and was the first recruitment site of the infamous Tuskegee syphilis study to determine the effects of untreated syphilis on the Negro male. More men were recruited from this site than any other site. Noted Civil Rights Attorney Fred Gray demanded an apology from the government on behalf of the participants and descendants from Shiloh. The study lasted 40 years. The church is well preserved and remains in tact. The bell that hangs in the steeple is the original operable bell from a previous wooden structure built in the late 1870s. The Shiloh Cemetery holds the remains of the largest number of men from the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Graves in this cemetery date back as far as 1874. Most graves are marked with a simple headstone.

Erected by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Notasulga.







End of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church