Historic Markers Across Alabama



Moton Field Expands



Marker ID:  
Location: 1616 Chappie James Avenue, Tuskegee, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 27.425    W 085° 40.781
  32.45708333    -85.67968333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Moton Field Expands


During World War II primary training airplanes were built mostly of wood and fabric. This is the site of Hangar No. 2, completed in early 1944 in response to the tremendous increase in the number of cadets training at Moton Field. The building, nearly identical to Hangar No. 1, contained classrooms, a briefing room, a medical office, and space for drying and repacking parachutes. It burned to the ground in 1989. The National Park Service plans to reconstruct Hangar No. 2 as a museum dedicated to the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen.

{Photo caption}
Aviation cadets learn triangulation in a Hangar
No. 2. classroom. Triangulation is one of the
basic principles of air navigation, used to
determine location.

National Park Service, Department of the Interior.



Notes:

More information:
NPS - Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airmen
History.com - Tuskegee Airmen



End of Moton Field Expands