Historic Markers Across Alabama



A Bit to Eat



Marker ID:  
Location: 1616 Chappie James Avenue, Tuskegee, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 27.423    W 085° 40.821
  32.45705    -85.68035
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

A Bit to Eat


Known as the Tea Room, this small lunchroom was built during the initial expansion phase of Moton Field in 1942 and 1943, when amenities such as offices and bathrooms not built into the original hangar were added. Here, personnel stationed at Moton Field could get a bite to eat. Cadets ate at Tuskegee Institute, but they could also buy a snack in the Tea Room if they had the time.

. . . cadets, instructors, and people in the area. . . come and have a snack, a bit to eat, because getting something out this far away from the campus would be rather difficult.
Booker Conley, 2000

{Photo caption}
The Tea Room was a good place to find something to eat and a friendly face for those who worked and trained at Moton Field.

National Park Service, Department of the Interior.



Notes:

More information:
NPS - Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airmen
History.com - Tuskegee Airmen



End of A Bit to Eat